Tuesday, August 17, 2010

There's a reason for that...

There's a reason why a lot of call centers have "Please have your account number ready when you call" as a part of their automated message. It just means "If you are calling for help, please be ready to be helped". In our case, this means simply have as much information as you have available when you call. If you care calling for problems with your email, it would help if you knew what your email address was. If you don't know your email address, it would help if you have your student number. If you call for someone's phone number, it would help if you had something to write down with/on. If you are calling for help with your computer, PLEASE be at your computer when you call.

Caller "I got this weird error when I opened my email"
Help Desk Guy "What error message did you get"
Caller "I don't know, I clicked it off before I could read it"
Help Desk Guy "Can you go back thru the steps you took that produced the error?"
Caller "No, I'm at lunch in my car. Not at the computer. And this was like 3 days ago. You can fix it, right?"

Sure. I will read your mind, play back your memories to the exact moment that you were at your computer and that error message came up, Google it, use my powers of telekinesis to turn your computer back on, correct the issue and turn your computer back off with the immense powers of my mind. While I'm at it, I will give your dog a bath and mow your lawn

Help Desk Guy "I will record that you called about this. If the error comes back, please give us a call with the error message and we will look into it then."

No comments:

Post a Comment