I realize not everyone is technical, or even computer literate. And I get that some who are very good at very technical things, don't really know much about the computer they use to do whatever fascinating thing they do. I get it. I really do get it. BUT If you want help, please try and be somewhat intelligent about asking for help, please? Calling and saying "My computer is broken, fix it" doesn't work. EVER. We need a few details, like what is it doing or not doing. Please don't be offended if we ask if it's plugged in or turned on. Please check to see that the computer hasn't been moved before you call in a panic that your monitor isn't working. (Yes, dear reader, that happened. To make it even better, the call came from the POLICE DEPARTMENT on one of their own computers. It was discovered by the technician that went to see what was wrong with the monitor.)
Look at it this way. If you take your car to the repair shop, can you really just hand the mechanic the key and say "Fix it" or do you have to spend a few minutes describing some symptoms? Do you yell at the mechanic when he asks if that noise happens only when you turn or does it do it all the time? If you do, you have other problems, and I understand better why you yelled at me when I asked a question about your computer. The reason is fairly simple actually. You are a jerk.
Please don't expect me to be clairvoyant. I have no idea what mailbox you used to be a delegate of if you don't have any clue what the name of it was. If you can remember part of the name, I might be able to get close, but saying "I used to have access, I have no idea what it was called, but you can fix it, right?" doesn't cut. Neither does getting huffy when I ask you what the mailbox was called.
That's all I got for today. If I gave it all to ya at once, you'd not come back would ya?
I am all giddy with glee. I can't wait to see some posts about the dumb stuff I just know these people come up with!
ReplyDeleteLol. That stuff happens at every help desk I'm sure. I know I get these calls. I have discovered that it's usually doctors who are the worst at the "just fix it" thing. They usually have a nurse call in for them so she doesn't have the network computer name or any other information. She was just told to call and tell us to fix it. To which I reply, if I was a patient the doctor wouldn't be able to help me if I had my friend call your office and say "she's very sick". So tell the doctor when he gets a chance he needs to call us directly so that I can ask him some questions. Oh man, does that ever piss them off.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read more of your stories Noxy. It's hilarious to see what new things people come up with.
I actually suggested he do this...and I'm tickled that he did and that Alas nudged him even more. Woot!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure some of the things I tell him throughout a day or at lunch he'll be able to post too.
Get ready for the fun and funnies. :) Grats Nox on the blog and therapy.
~Jinx
I can foresee needing alternate name tags for some regular callers...
ReplyDeletewow, all this time I thought that the point of Tech support was to read minds. They do on TV...
ReplyDelete