As the spring semester ends, new students are gearing up to join us in the fall. As a result we get a lot parents trying to get Little Johnny and Sweet Suzie's email accounts and student database access set up. The problem is... due to FERPA, we cannot give the parents any information about the student's account. We can give basics, like go to this website, click that link, these are the questions you will need answers to, that sort of thing, but when it comes to things like "what's Johnny's user ID" we cannot answer that. It leads to interesting comments:
Parent Caller: "I don't think my son is bright enough to do this on his own" Really, Mom? This is a techincal university ya know...
Parent Caller "I've never heard of gmail. What is that?" You live under a rock, right?
Parent Caller "If he does this on his own, then I won't know the password" So much for student privacy...
Parent Caller "I pay the tuition. I have a right to know." Argue that with the Dept. of Education
Parent Caller "She really doesn't know much about computers" Maybe this one and Bright Boy up there will get together.
Honorable Mention for Honesty Award
Help Desk guy: "This is really something the student will have to do. We need to be able to talk to him"
Parent Caller: "Well, the student is a lazy ass"
No comments:
Post a Comment